Most of us who are dealing with online industries have our own laptops. Those who have families and kids, they even have more than 2 laptops.
Addition to that, we also have more than 1 smart devices such as tablets and smartphone. Don’t forget the game consoles and media players. All of them requires stable WiFi connectivity.
It has become a necessary requirement to have a solid performance WiFi router to serve all these devices.
Choosing a right performance WiFi router can be tricky. Due to the cost, you definitely do not want the wrong one. This topic should help you find the high-end Wireless N+ performance router for your home. The routers I have listed here are dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) routers. All these devices are priced between us$140-$200.
Now let’s get down to the list.
Linksys EA4500 Smart Router
App-Enabled N900 Dual-Band Wireless Router with Gigabit and USB. Create a maximum performance wireless home network. Enjoy unrivaled speed and HD/3D quality streaming for the ultimate home theater and gaming experience.
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
- Dual Channel up to 450 + 450 Mbps speed.
- USB Port to add a range of devices such as storage and printers.
- The signal may not be as stable as advertised (this can vary upon different situations).
- Require a software to do a parental controls setup
Buffalo AirStation™ HighPower N450 Gigabit Wireless Router – WZR-HP-G450H
The AirStation HighPower N450 Gigabit Wireless Router is a versatile Internet and network solution for the home and small office environment. Featuring DD-WRT, HighPower technology and 5 dBi high gain 3×3 omnidirectional antennas, WZR-HP-G450H greatly extends coverage and delivers optimized performance and signal strength. Stream HD movies, music, and connect your smartphone or tablet device from outdoors and other expansive areas on your network.
Dead spots in your home or office can slow down your wireless access and even prevent you from getting online. Advanced HighPower technology from Buffalo enhances signal strength and can almost double the range.
Overall Rating: 4/5
- The excellent speed at longer range.
- USB Port to add a range of devices such as storage.
- DD-WRT Open source advanced firmware supporting OpenVPN protocols.
- Default firmware installation that doesn’t allow you to make full benefit of advertised speeds (No bonding between dual bands). To achieve the top speed is to download and install Buffalo’s alternative firmware (Kind of beats the purpose of having DD-WRT).
D-Link DIR-827 HD Media Router 2000
Up to 600Mbps speed, HD Fuel bandwidth prioritization, dual-band wireless, and 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports combine to power your connected lifestyle and deliver the uninterrupted connectivity you need to power multiple devices, simultaneously, and keep you in command of your digital universe. Go ahead: Stream HD movies, play your Xbox® 360 online or make Skype® calls – The HD Media Router 2000 with HD Fuel lets you do it all, all at once – free of annoying lags or glitches. SharePort Plus USB 3.0 lets you connect or stream from any USB device. There’s even an SD Card slot for accessing HD photos, videos and more.
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
- Excellent throughput at shorter ranges.
- A lot of features.
- SD card reader and USB port.
- No 450Mbps output band. Throughput drops significantly with distance.
- Long reboots required for many configuration changes.
- SharePort™ Plus Technology requires software.
ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight
The ASUS RT-N66U dual-band wireless-N900 gigabit router delivers incredible performance and coverage range. With new ASUSWRT UI, quickly setup your network, customize user access and monitor signal strength. Following the award-winning RT-N56U, the RT-N66U increases Wi-Fi speed for both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz transmission by 50% up to 900Mbps that makes it ideal for bandwidth demanding tasks such as 3D HD video streaming, multiplayer gaming, USB hard drive file sharing, and USB connected printer sharing. Built-in Wi-Fi amplifiers make the RT-N66U the perfect wireless router for larger, multi-level homes and buildings with signal range that reaches virtually any area.
Overall Rating: 4.5/5
- Really good speed on both channels.
- Standalone VPN Server capability.
- Stable signals.
- Ability to use a 3G modem with the router.
- Superb online multitasking (Up to 300,000 sessions)
- Firmware is a little buggy.
Netgear WNDR4500 N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
The NETGEAR N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router delivers the ultimate in WiFi performance and range. Stay connected to the Internet with fast, reliable and secure wireless connections and create a powerful home network for applications, such as streaming 3DHD video and multi-player gaming.
Overall Rating: 4/5
- The excellent speed at long range 5GHz band.
- Very stable WiFi signal.
- Relatively slower speed at the 2.4GHz band.
Well there you have it. I have tried to keep the list short and sweet. Personally, I would recommend ASUS, Linksys and Netgear routers.
What high-performance router do you use? And what are your thoughts on these routers? Do let me know by posting a comment.