Everyone makes mistakes, even seasoned professionals. The SEO world is no different. There are countless issues that can make even the best of SEO marketers seem marginal at best. Below are a few steps you should adhere to if you decide to become an SEO marketer or you are already one and you want to hone your skills.
- Keyword Stuffing is a huge issue you should try to avoid over-doing. Every SEO article will need the keywords because that is what makes an SEO article unique. However, using too many keywords can do more harm than good. Search engines are designed to look for certain words and if you have irrelevant wording or you put too many of your key words in the article or website, it will actually punish you by dropping your ranking on sites like Google and Yahoo. Also, do not forget that readers do not like to see a misuse of wording just to get to the top. In fact, if they see this they will probably leave your page altogether.
- Title Tags (either too many or too little) are keyword phrasing that is specifically made to be in your headline or title. Search engines read from the left to the right so it is best if your keyword is in the first three or four words. If you are looking to confuse the search engines for fun, leave out your title tag and they will have to make a decision on what the keyword is. Do not go over 200 characters in your title tag. Having more than that is a huge mistake.
- A missing description can be one of the most damaging parts to a SEO’s career. The description is in place to be detailed and it is one of the places where the use of keywords is important. If you do not have a description of your article or blog, the search engines will pick anything out that it sees fit. If you are lucky this will happen, if not then chances are you will not get ranked at all.
- Using a very simple anchoring text can be the difference between a good ranking and a bad one. Most SEO’s that have problems with ranking are due to a poor anchor text. In case you are not aware, an anchor text is a set of hyperlinked words that are on your page. They are usually underlined and blue. There are three kinds of links: internal, deep and external.
- Having “Alt” tags on your images can be very helpful when trying to increase your rank. Whenever you upload images to your article or blog, re-title them to ensure you are getting the most out of them. Make sure you have a keyword in your image’s title and ensure that it is the same one you are using for your title tag.
If you follow these simple steps, you should be able to define your SEO skills a little better and, in turn, stay away from the lower rankings.