Image Credit – Creative Commons
Remember when the most exciting thing you could do on a mobile phone was call someone from the loo if you wanted? These days they aren’t only one of the most widely used gadgets in the world, they’re mini computers we can fit in our pockets and do just about anything on. With the operating systems, technology and design quality we’re seeing in phones these days it’s no wonder they’ve become such powerful social tools.
- Statistics show that more than 100 million people access Facebook through their mobile phones and the number is steadily growing, while more than a third of Twitter users access it using their phones.
- More people than ever are accessing social media using their phones because it allows us to keep mobile and to connect wherever we are in the world. For this reason, social media is heavily influenced by mobile technology and has to keep up with the demands of users.
- By far, the most popular apps downloaded by Smart-phone users are social media ones and most people browse online for around two and a half hours a day.
- Figures show that, on average, the highest percentage of mobile social media users are between the ages of 25 and 35, and a bigger percentage of women are online more often than men.
- The rise of mobile technology, and the subsequent desire for us to have access to news, updates and more every second of the day, has affected the newspaper industry substantially. Over the years there have been reported declines of billions in revenue during periods when new mobile services were launched, such as the launch of the iPhone or the Blackberry.
- It has been reported that up to 47 percent of people these days see mobile phones as necessities to everyday life.
- Social media used on mobile phones is the only kind of entertainment that people still partake in while engaged in other forms of entertainment. While watching TV or sitting in a movie house or theatre, for example, many people still use their mobile phones to tell the world what they’re watching or where they are. It sounds insane, but this is increasingly becoming the social norm.
The trend is growing, and social media on mobile phones is simply the way of the future. If you haven’t started Tweeting from your couch yet, what are you waiting for?