Windows 7 Specials is a part of my 500+ Ultimate Freeware for Windows Topic. The purpose of this post is to introduce you with the Best Freeware Tools to Enhance and Customize Windows 7 .
- CSMenu – restores a “classic” look to Windows 7 by installing a companion Start menu on your taskbar.
- Logon Changer for Windows 7 – Simply takes a JPG file (256K or less, so be sure to re-size and compress) and applies it to your logon background
- Windows 7 System Recovery Discs – Can repair damaged files, restore System Restore points, and even pull in full backups for restoration.
- Gmail Notifier Plus – Not only subtly informs of you of new mail by changing its taskbar icon, but provides a subject line preview of new messages when you hover over its icon.
- Winfox – A helpful little add-on that you pin to your taskbar to access Firefox from. Copy Winfox to your Firefox program directory, install it, and pin the “Winfox” application to your taskbar.
- StandaloneStack or 7stacks – which both do a great job of creating blow-up menus of folders and apps from single icons on your taskbar.
- Ultimate Windows Tweaker, playing along with XdN Tweaker – They have been digging deep into the guts of Windows since Vista first arrived, and they let you seriously fine-tune your system.
- VistaSwitcher – More powerful app and window switcher, improves on it in just the right ways.
- Ninite – This is your ticket out of redundant installations. Visit to the web site, check off the apps you need from a huge range of good, free software, and download the resulting customized installer app.
- – Find out if your PC can run Windows 7. To see if your PC is ready for Windows 7, download the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It scans your PC for potential issues with your hardware, devices, and installed programs, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.
- Windows Easy Transfer – In Windows 7, Windows Easy Transfer lives up to its name. Redesigned to be more reliable and helpful, it takes the hassle out of migrating important files, e-mail, pictures, and settings from your old PC to your new one. You’ve told us previous versions were hard to figure out or stalled before the job was done. So Windows Easy Transfer now includes a new file explorer so you can easily choose exactly which files to copy to your new PC. And if Windows finds a file or setting it can’t work with, your transfer won’t hang upâit will finish and give you a full report of anything that didn’t migrate.
- EnhanceMySe7en – Windows 7 is fast and it is quite satisfying in the role of replacing Windows XP and Vista, but you can make it much faster and responsible with EnhanceMySe7en. EnhanceMySe7en helps users to control many aspects of the system with maximum convenience. You will get everything needed for maintaining Windows 7 in a perfect condition. The program offers tools that take care of the registry, disk space and its defragmentation, installed software, HDD temperature and all sorts of things related to system’s health. Also there are lots of other options helping to boost your system’s performance. With a clean and simple interface it brings you an All-in-One set of powerful and neatly classified tools, settings and tweaks.
The Bumper List of Windows 7 Secrets by Tim Sneath described some hidden and powerful features of Windows 7 that you might not know about.
Don’t forget to add your own suggestions to this list, just comment to suggest a freeware you would like to add it to this list.